Thursday, May 3, 2007

AARRGGG!! Venting today

Well, i caved under the peer pressure and joined facebook recently. I had joined myspace a few months ago and was quite happy with that expierence, but i still had a few friends who wanted me to join facebook. So, i joined, and after i join somewhere the first thing i do is check out their groups. I searched and added myself to some of the Down syndrome groups. But as i am doing this, i run across all of these groups that people have set up to make fun of people wth disabilites, mainly Down syndrome. I couldn't believe it. The things some of these people were saying. I am so appalled!!. I have reported a bunch of these groups (so has a friend who i was talking to on msn while looking through these groups) but wonder if one voice alone is going to be enough. Should i fight the fight here, or walk away? Everything in me wants to freak out about this!! This is uncalled for! I can't believe that there are people out there who have nothing better to do with their time than to make fun of those who can't defend themselves.
For those of you who have facebook accounts, click groups, search Down syndrome and read away.........let me know what you think. Am i upset for nothing? Should i let it go as there is always someone, somewhere who is completely ignorant? or should i keep on fighting?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I did the same thing too a couple weeks ago, I just sat there and cried. Some people are just too darn stupid!

Anonymous said...

There is a group on FB now that has been set up to try and stop these morons. It is called Let's shut down every group that uses "Down Syndrome" in a derogatory way. Please please check it out. I'm going to put a link on it to this page if that's ok?

Anonymous said...

Hi there.
I believe you should never let it go, and always stand up for what you believe in, regardless of the consequence. Hope to get to know you better.

Simone